Friday, December 26, 2014

The Most Wonderful Gift

Alec gave me a gift on Christmas Eve.  He connected our old VCR and put in a tape of my parents playing with him and a shadow.  He was 18 months at the time.  Daddy was filming and Mother was talking to him about what shadows are.  Toward the end of the clip my Dad sang "Me and my shadow, walking down the avenue."  It was the most beautiful thing I've seen and heard in months.  Just to hear my Dad's voice again and to hear my Mother sound like she used to was utterly joyful and overwhelming.  It was a little moment in time that caught both of my parents' spirits and showed what kind of parents and grandparents they were.  I had not ever seen that video before.  In this year of so much loss and sadness, my son gave me the most wonderful gift.  A lovely memory of my parents that I didn't even know existed.

No comments:

Post a Comment