Sunday, March 13, 2011

Climbing Out of the Rut One Step At a Time

I'm in a rut.  A deep, deep rut.  This seems to happen every time I start to work on a project.  I have lots of ideas and even get started on a project or two and then...hit the wall and become completely overwhelmed.

It's not as if I haven't done anything.  I've been working on designing a database at work for the last couple of weeks and have been learning to use Microsoft Access.  It's been really rewarding putting things together and then seeing that it works.  It's creative in a way.  But not creative in the way I want to be.

I'm in a deep, deep rut and keep slipping down the sides every time I try to climb out.  My husband thinks I need to get some exercise - he's probably right. I think I need to turn off the tv  - definitely true.  I've been looking at books in my library that always inspire - Twyla Tharp's "The Creative Habit" and Danny Gregory's "The Creative License."  They're helpful.  But then, I'm really good at using reading as an excuse to not do anything.  I need to find a class to take since I always do better when there is structure.  When there is homework.  When there are expectations.  Let to my own devices I will do...nothing. 

A while back I decided that to take a drawing class.  Have I looked for a class yet?  Not really.  So, this week I'm going to do one thing.  Look for a beginner's drawing class in NYC.  That shouldn't be too hard.

No comments:

Post a Comment